Microsoft Outlook 2010
We no longer support or recommend Outlook 2010.
Outlook 2010 is long obsolete. It has numerous bugs and problems, and does not work well if you also read mail on other devices like a phone.If you like the Outlook program, you can get a modern, reliable version from Microsoft for just a few dollars a month. If you’re looking for a free mail program, Mozilla Thunderbird is much more reliable than old versions of Outlook.
Since we no longer offer support for Outlook 2010, the information below is provided only for historical reasons, and should not be used to setup new computers or addresses.
This page explains how to set up Microsoft Outlook 2010 to send and receive email for an email mailbox that you’ve created.
Before you continue, you should enter your email address (the address you want to set up in Microsoft Outlook) in the box above. Entering your email address makes sure that the instructions below are correct.
Setting up Microsoft Outlook 2010 using Autodiscover
Autodiscover makes it easy to set up Outlook 2010. You’ll just tell Outlook your name, email address, and password, and it will automatically figure out the other settings for you.
Autodiscover creates your email address as a “POP” connection. Separate instructions are also available for setting up an IMAP connection or for manually setting up Outlook 2010 without using Autodiscover.
1. Start the Microsoft Outlook program.
Use the Start menu to start Outlook 2010. If you’ve never used Outlook before, it will prompt you to create a new account. In that case, skip ahead to step 2.
If you’ve previously used Outlook and it doesn’t prompt you, click the File tab, then the Add Account button:
2. Provide your basic email information.
Enter your name, email address, and password so that the four highlighted boxes in the window looks like this (but with your name instead of “Bill Gates”):
- “Your Name” is the name that other people will see when you send them email. It should usually be your real name, such as Bill Gates, but some people enter a company name like Acme Rockets.
- The “E-mail Address” is the address of the mailbox you created in our account management control panel.
- “Password” and “Retype Password” boxes are the email password you chose for this email address when you created the mailbox. The password may be different from your master account password with our company.
- Do not check “Text Messaging (SMS)” or “Manually configure server settings or additional server types”.
3. Allow the redirection if necessary.
Outlook may show a window that looks like this:
If you see this window, check Don’t ask me about this website again, then click Allow.
It’s okay if you don’t see this window — simply continue to the next step below.
4. Autodiscover detects your account settings.
Autodiscover will try to detect your email account settings. If it succeeds, you will see a “Congratulations” window:
Click Finish. This will return you to the main Outlook window.
Outlook setup is complete
You’re finished! Try sending yourself a test email message to make sure it works.
If you can’t get Autodiscover to work, you can follow the manual Outlook 2010 setup instructions instead.