What is the Tiger Technologies WordPress Plugin?
When you use our WordPress installer, a plugin named “Tiger Technologies Plugin” is automatically installed and activated.
The plugin can enhance the security and performance of WordPress sites on our servers.
What exactly does the plugin do?
It loads an extra centralized PHP script on our servers. That script currently does this:
- Detects when your site is being accessed using a temporary “customers.tigertech.net” URL and offers to remove it if it’s not needed.
- Refines the performance suggestions in the “site health check” to show information that applies to our servers, rather than generic suggestions.
In the future, we may add other features to the script to do things like:
- Block known “security vulnerability” attacks in outdated versions of WordPress, even before you have a chance to upgrade the entire program.
- Let us know who’s using outdated versions of WordPress so we can contact you to help with security upgrades.
- Help you configure WordPress to run as quickly as possible on our servers by recommending caching plugins when appropriate.
If you want more technical details, you can view the centralized script yourself from a shell connection by typing:
Can I deactivate it?
Yes, your site will still work if you deactivate the plugin.
However, if you do so, we won’t have any knowledge about (or control over) your copy of WordPress once it’s installed, preventing us from helping you in some useful ways. Because of that, we recommend leaving it enabled unless you have a specific reason to deactivate it.
By the way, if you're concerned about performance: So are we! We take great care to make sure the plugin doesn’t do anything that might slow down even extremely busy sites. Although minimizing the number of unnecessary plugins on busy sites is definitely something we recommend, you don’t need to worry about this one.
Can I manually add the plugin to a site that doesn’t already use it?
Yes, you can. To do so:
- Download the tigertech-wordpress-plugin.zip file to your computer.
- On the WordPress Plugins screen, click Add New.
- Click Upload.
- Choose the “tigertech-wordpress-plugin.zip” file you downloaded and click Install Now.
- Click Activate Plugin.
The plugin is only useful on sites hosted by Tiger Technologies, of course, but it’s designed so that it simply won’t do anything at all on other servers (it won’t cause an error).
Copyright © 2000-2023 Tiger Technologies LLC