This page explains how to set up the free Netscape Mail email program to send and receive email for a POP mailbox that you've created.
Before you continue, you should enter your email address (the address you want to set up in Netscape Mail) in the box above. Entering your email address makes sure that the instructions below are correct.
These instructions are based on Netscape Communicator 7.2 for Windows, although other versions since 7.0 are similar. (If you're using a version older than version 7, see our instructions for other mail programs for the settings.)
1. Start the Netscape Mail program.
When Netscape Mail opens, click File, New, and Account from the menu bar.
2. The Account Wizard screen will appear.
Click Email account, then click Next.
3. The wizard asks for your name and email address.
The wizard first asks for your name. This is the name that other people will see when you send them email. It should usually be your real name, such as John Smith or Joan of Arc. Enter the name you want other people to see when you send them email.
Then enter your email address, and click Next. The address must be the email address of the POP mailbox you created in your account management control panel.
4. The wizard asks for your server settings.
Select POP as the server type.
Type mail.tigertech.net as the name of your incoming and outgoing servers, then click Next.
5. The wizard asks for your "user name".
Your user name is the same as your email address.
Type your email address as both your "Incoming User Name" and "Outgoing User Name", then click Next. (Both user names must be all lower case).
6. The wizard asks for an "account name".
We recommend that you choose your email address as the account name to avoid confusion.
Type the account name, then click Next.
7. The final wizard screen displays your settings.
Check the settings to make sure they don't contain any errors, then click Finish.
Make sure Download messages now is not checked, as you still have to make some additional changes before your email account is ready to use.
While the wizard has collected the basic information needed to receive email, a couple more very important things are needed to make sure that you can send mail and that your connection is encrypted. Continue with the steps below to finish setting up Netscape Mail.
8. Open the Properties window for your new account.
Right-click on your email account (click on the name with the right mouse button) and select Properties
9. Configure your outgoing server settings
Select Outgoing Server (SMTP) from the lefthand menu.
- Type mail.tigertech.net as the name of your server and set the port number to 587.
- Check the box labeled Use name and password, and type your email address as your User Name. (The user name must be all lowercase). You will be asked for your email password when you first try to send email.
- Finally, click the button marked TLS, if available, which enables a secure connection. This ensures that anyone who can eavesdrop on your Internet connections (such as a neighbor with a WiFi card) won't be able to view your password or the contents of your email.
The window should look like this:
10. Configure your incoming server settings
On the left hand menu, you should be able to see the account you have created. Double click on this to expand the list beneath it, then click Server Settings.
Check the Use secure connection (SSL) checkbox. This should automatically change the "Port" number to 995. The Server Name and User Name should not need changing.
Finally, click OK to save the changes.
Setup is complete
You're finished! Try sending yourself a test email message to make sure it works.
Copyright © 2000-2019 Tiger Technologies LLC