Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac
This page explains how to set up the Microsoft Outlook 2011 email program on Mac OS X for an IMAP mailbox that you've created.
Before you continue, you should enter your email address (the address you want to set up in Outlook) in the box above. Entering your email address makes sure that the instructions below are correct.
To set up Outlook 2011, make sure the Outlook program is running, then follow the instructions below.
1. Add a new account
Click the "Tools" menu and choose "Accounts".
Click the "+" button and choose "E-mail".
The "Account" window appears.
Type your email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
As soon as you start typing your email address, the settings display will expand.
2. Enter your account information
Enter your email account details, using the following values:
- E-mail address: your email address (must be all lowercase)
- Password: your email password
- User name: your email address (must be all lowercase)
- Type: IMAP
- Incoming server: mail.tigertech.net
- Check Use SSL to connect (recommended) (under "Incoming server")
- Port (under "Incoming server"): 993
- Outgoing server: mail.tigertech.net
- Check Use SSL to connect (recommended) (under "Outgoing server")
- Under "Outgoing server", check Override default port then change the port number to 465
Your resulting window should look like this:
Click the "Add Account" button; this will save the current values.
Now enter a few more values:
- Account description: email@example.com
- Full name: enter your full name, such as Steve Jobs
Your settings window should now look something like this:
Click the "More Options..." button.
3. Configure outgoing mail authentication
Select "Use Incoming Server Info" for the Authentication field:
Then click OK.
You are done configuring Outlook. You can now close the settings window.
Setup is complete
You're finished! Try sending yourself a test email message to make sure it works.
Having trouble sending mail?
We occasionally hear reports of an Outlook bug that makes it impossible to send mail (even though you can receive mail), with Outlook showing with an “unknown error code 17199”. If this happens to you, Microsoft suggests deleting all messages in the Outbox to solve it.
Do some people see duplicate images in messages you send?
Outlook for Mac has a bug that can cause duplicated images, unfortunately. It’s not caused by a problem on your computer, or our servers.
Lost your contacts and mail?
Outlook stores your contacts (and any local mail) in a folder at a certain location on your computer:
Documents > Microsoft User Data > Office 2011 Identities
If you accidentally rename the “Microsoft User Data” or “Office 2011 Identities” folder, or move them to the trash or another location on your computer, Outlook will create a brand new “identity” with no mail or contacts. (This is easy to do accidentally because the “Microsoft User Data” folder is just “loose” at the top of your “Documents” folder.)
If that's what happened, and you still have the original folder, you can move that folder back to the original location (or rename it to the original name) and the contacts and mail will reappear.