How do I verify the settings in Outlook 2010?
If you’ve already set up an e-mail account in Outlook 2010 using Autodiscover and you want to make sure the settings are correct, this page explains how to do so.
1. Start Outlook 2010.
If Outlook 2010 isn’t already running, start it now.
2. Select the account.
Click the File tab on the ribbon. Go to Info and select the account for your e-mail address if it’s not already chosen:
Click Account Settings. The “Account Settings” window appears.
Make sure your e-mail address is selected, then click Change.
3. Verify the basic account settings.
The window should look like this:
Although the “Your Name” and the “Password” will be different, everything else should be as shown above. In particular, these must be exactly right:
- Email Address: your e-mail address (all lowercase)
- Account Type: POP3
- Incoming mail server: mail.tigertech.net
- Outgoing mail server: mail.tigertech.net
- User Name: your e-mail address (all lowercase)
- Remember password should be checked
- “Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” should not be checked.
After verifying these settings, click the More Settings button. The “Internet E-mail Settings” window appears.
4. Verify the “Outgoing Server” settings.
The outgoing server settings should look like this:
Verify these settings:
- My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication should be checked
- Use same setting as my incoming server should be selected
5. Verify the “Advanced” settings.
Click the Advanced tab. The window should look like this:
You should make sure the following values are entered:
- Incoming Server (POP3): 995
- This server requires and encyrpted connection should be checked
- Outgoing Server (SMTP): 587
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS
- Leave a copy of messages on the server should be checked
6. Close both settings windows.
If everything looks okay, click OK to close the “Internet E-mail Settings” window, then click Next and Finish to close the “Change Account” window.