How do I verify the settings in Outlook Express?
If you’ve already set up an email account in the Outlook Express program and you want to make sure the settings are correct, this page explains how to do so.
1. Start Outlook Express.
If the Outlook Express isn’t already running, start it now.
2. Open the “Internet Accounts” window.
In Outlook Express, click the Tools menu, then Accounts.
The “Internet Accounts” window appears.
3. Display the account properties.
Highlight your firstname.lastname@example.org account and click Properties.
The “Properties” window appears.
4. Verify the basic account settings.
Click the Servers tab. The window should look like this:
Although the “My incoming mail server is a ... server” setting may be different depending on whether you have chosen POP3 or IMAP, everything else should be as shown. In particular, these must be exactly right:
- Incoming mail: mail.tigertech.net
- Outgoing mail: mail.tigertech.net
- Account name: your email address (all lowercase)
- Do not check “Log On Using Secure Password Authentication”.
- Check My server requires authentication.
- Click Settings, and verify that the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option is chosen.
Click OK to close the “Outgoing Mail Server” window and return to the “Properties” window.
5. Verify the advanced settings.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Make sure the “Outgoing mail (SMTP)” port number is 587.
- If your “Incoming mail” server is “POP3”, then the port number should be 110.
- If your “Incoming mail” server is “IMAP”, then the port number should be 143.
- If your “Incoming mail” server is “POP3”, then there should be a “Delivery” section at the bottom of the window. Make sure that Leave a copy of messages on server is checked.
6. Close the setup windows.
Click OK to close the “Properties” window, then click Close to close the “Internet Accounts” window.